Thursday, June 20, 2013

::a guide to thank you notes::



thank you notes. some dread them, others love them. I tend to be someone who loves them. on Christmas each year, I have a stack of thank you notes next to me and write them as I open gifts (what else am I supposed to do while I wait for my family to open theirs?!) but something was different this past time when I was gearing up to write them. usually I get a giddy feeling because I can’t wait to find the perfect card for the occasion. but this time, i searched a while to find the perfect cards, even trying to get some made, but it just wasn’t right. and then it clicked. I should
hand make each and every one of them. i got that fun feeling again when I walked into paper source- oh how I love that store! I could literally spend my life’s savings there. no problem. sadly, I had to control myself and put back about half of the things I picked up. sad day. but it was also a happy day because I got excited to put in the time and effort to create a token for my appreciation for the people who took time out of their day to do something nice for me.
so long story short, here are my tips for writing and making thank you notes.

1.think about the person you are sending (or giving) the note to
I usually come up with a few different prototypes and adjust accordingly to the person. I adjust a few ways. first, I think about if it’s a boy, girl, or family and adjust colors. next, I think about if the person appreciates little details and paper (my aunt loovveess paper goods like I do, so I always make hers a little more special). lastly, I think about if they are more traditional or a little more funky, and adjust accordingly.
2. use language that isn’t generic 
this one can be hard, but it does make a difference. just think about it, would you rather get a card of someone saying the same thing you’ve heard a million times or a card that says thank you in a creative way? you can see the pictures below as ideas of how to make fun and different cards
3. remember that even if you don’t know the person you are sending a thank you note to as well and therefore don’t have as much to say, the time and effort that you put into making the note expresses a lot of gratitude
here are a few peaks for some inspiration:
{thickers are actually my favorite thing ever... just trust me on this one}
{a cute way to make people smile when they open your note}
{make sure and know your audience. this is much better suited for a man, hence the change in ribbon… it’s a must!}
{adding a liner to your envelope is a cute&quick way to add character}
{don’t forget to add some detail to the envelope…it’s one of the easiest ways to show that you really are appreciative and took extra effort to thank them}


I hope you enjoyed this little post, and remember, have fun with these! get creative, be thoughtful, and be prompt!

with love. lots of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment